After the petition for divorce is filed, but before you actually go to court, the two parties must participate in the discovery process. Discovery, which only occurs in contested divorces, is a thorny process, in cases where both sides stand to lose a great deal financially. It is the part of the divorce process where both sides show what they have — all their marital assets and debts:
- State and federal income tax returns for the previous three years or longer
- All bank statements for the previous three years or longer
- Documentation relating to the cost and nature of health insurance coverage
- Statements from the past three years for all retirement accounts, pensions and IRAs
- All loan or mortgage applications submitted over the past three years
- All financial statements prepared within three years of filing
- All business records for at least five years
Illinois is an equitable distribution state, meaning that all assets and debts will be divided fairly, not necessarily equally. To protect your rights and interests, the services of a skilled attorney are essential.
Call Boyle Feinberg Sharma, at 312-376-8860 to schedule a consultation with a property division lawyer in Chicago or Arlington Heights.
Arlington Heights Family Lawyers
“I was impressed that Janet was adept at both the emotional side of our divorce as well as the nuts-and-bolts financial aspects. I felt I was in good hands at all times.”
— Charles, Evanston
Three Qualities We Are Proud Of
Boyle Feinberg Sharma, prides itself on:
- Meticulousness. We leave no stone unturned in identifying assets. When there are questions, we work with forensic accountants and other experts. Attorneys make sure that no assets are unaccounted.
- Cost sensitivity. Divorces are expensive by definition. We work in a consultative fashion with you, advising on the relative cost of different options, and guiding you to the best, most affordable outcome.
- Experience. We have been doing property division for almost 30 years. There is little under the sun that we have not seen and been prepared for. Judges appreciate knowing you have “pros” on the case. Our experience and clear communication help the proceedings go faster and more efficiently.
Serving Chicago · Barrington · Arlington Heights · The Entire North Shore
The North Shore family lawyers of Boyle Feinberg Sharma, are skilled at property division and division of debt in divorce. Contact our office at 312-376-8860 or 847-394-3940, or via email. We represent people throughout the Chicago area.